Inclusive Teaching Institute for Graduate Students and Postdocs
February 11-12, 2022
~ The 2022 event will be held virtually ~
The Inclusive Teaching Institute is a two-day retreat offered every spring for graduate students and postdoctoral scholars to explore strategies for engaging diversity and fostering inclusion in teaching and learning. As a participant, you will identify ways to increase accessibility and boost student engagement and belongingness; discuss inclusive course design; and create an action plan for future teaching. See full details on Center for Teaching Innovation website
What is the Inclusive Teaching Institute?
This interactive virtual workshop invites you to collaborate with other graduate students and postdocs to share what you know, explore how and why social identities come into play in the learning environment, and experience active learning strategies that increase engagement and inclusion. A five-point organizing framework invites entry from all disciplinary perspectives: Consider your students, and yourself as an instructor, how you teach, what you teach, and the overall learning environment. Leave with a toolkit of strategies and a plan you can use for future teaching. Read about the March 2019 Institute
Who can attend?
The Inclusive Teaching Institute is designed for graduate students and postdocs at Cornell University.
Dates & times:
- Friday, February 11, 2022 from 1:00 – 5:00 pm
- Saturday, February 12, 2022, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm
This is a 2-day event, so applicants should be prepared to attend both days.
As space in the institute is limited, please register early to save a place.
- use a framework to guide your planning for adopting inclusive teaching practices
- explore social identities and lived experiences to increase awareness of how these come into play in teaching and learning
- identify teaching strategies that foster engagement and a sense of belonging
- practice dialogue skills for communicating across difference
- explain why social identities are relevant in teaching and learning
Other Recent Opportunities
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, we offered an online Learning Community on Inclusive Teaching for Graduate Students and Postdocs, in partnership with the Center for Teaching Innovation
Sessions of this program were offered:
- June-July 2021
- October-November 2020
- June-July 2020