Travel and Training Programs
Travel Funding Opportunities Related to Teaching Development
- Travel Grants – Future Faculty and Academic Careers certificate program participants can apply for travel grants to further training in teaching (up to $500) or present a Teaching as Research project beyond Cornell (up to $1000).
- CIRTL Network Summer Teaching Institutes – Spanning May-August, you can apply to attend 2- to 5-day institutes at other universities such as Vanderbilt, Johns Hopkins, the University of British Columbia, and the University of Colorado at Boulder. Cornell graduate students and postdocs may contact email@example.com about a travel grant application.
- National CIRTL Forum – The 6th National CIRTL Forum was held at Drexel University on October 13-15, 2019, and is convened every few years. Cornell graduate students and postdocs may contact firstname.lastname@example.org about potential travel funding to present completed Teaching as Research projects.
- CIRTL Network Exchange Program – Future Faculty and Academic Careers participants who have completed a Teaching as Research project (or similar) can apply for a fully funded visit to one of nearly 40 research universities to give a research and teaching talks and network with disciplinary colleagues in a mock academic job interview setting. Applications are accepted at any time, but may require several months of lead time with local CIRTL program leaders to make arrangements. Prospective participants at Cornell should contact email@example.com.
Conferences on Teaching in Higher Education
- Case Study Teaching in Science – Summer Workshop or Fall Conference – in Buffalo, NY; May and September annually
- Project Kaleidoscope Upstate New York Regional Meetings – Saturday conferences twice a year; location varies; low-cost graduate student/postdoc registration; opportunities to present Teaching as Research posters
- Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network – Best for those considering a career with a teaching center, limited registration grants available for grads/postdocs; held in fall annually
- Teaching and Learning Conferences – list maintained by Elon University
- Teaching Conferences Directory – list maintained by Kennesaw State University
Future Faculty Recruitment and Training Institutes
- Future Faculty Career Exploration Program, Rochester Institute of Technology – A rigorous four-day program designed for African American, Latino American, and Native American (AALANA) scholars and artists to experience a “behind the scenes” glimpse into life as a faculty member at RIT.
- Virginia Tech’s Future Faculty Development Program – A two-day event, all-expenses-paid institute for doctoral candidates and postdoctoral scholars.
- Building Future Faculty Program, NC State University – A three-day, all-expenses-paid institute for graduate students and postdocs from backgrounds underrepresented in academia.
- NextProf Nexus – An annual three-day workshop aimed at preparing the next generation of scientific and technological leaders, in collaboration between University of Michigan, University of California at Berkeley, and Georgia Tech.